Sunday, July 16, 2017

~:[CH6 - Day 195]:~ In Unison

~:[CH6 - Day 195]:~ In Unison
The day after the BBQ is always a little rough. Not only are there things to pick up and a few things to do, but it's always harder to wake up. Regardless, I got up and headed to the Obon festival at the OC Buddhist Church. I've always enjoyed celebrating at the event and this year, I was around for both the taiko performances and the Bon Odori. I love watching the Bon Odori as a combination of experienced and novice people join in, young and old, and of all races. I think it's great to see people put in the effort to join in and have a great time. I also enjoyed the food, games and company of great people, many of whom I ran into and had a chance to quickly catch up. Today made me miss Japan even more and pushed me to work harder to stay connected with my roots. My body didn't want me to do too much today, but I am glad I got out of bed for this. Whether you believe that the spirits of your ancestors return during the Obon, in either case, I know that they were there celebrating with me, as were hundreds of strangers doing their best to stay in unison.

No comments:

Post a Comment